Wednesday, May 19, 2010

how bright is your light?

Tonight I attended my new Bible study for the first time. I have been helping lead a Bible study for Jr. High girls, but decided that I wanted to further my accountability personally. This is what brought me to a group of individuals that congregated in a circle in the middle of a building. It was after hours and all lights were out except for our area. Among us sat a wide range of personalities, interests, and backgrounds, but we all had one similarity. We love Jesus. Our goal is simply to live like Jesus. I don't think I said anything tonight, but I listened. I've been discovering the beauty of hearing with silent lips. I have nothing more important to say than the words of those around me. Their doctrine was pure. Tonight I wanted to learn. I heard a quote from a guy that I have had a class with everyday for the past few years and talked to only a handful of times. He quoted a classmate in saying, "don't shine your light so bright that it blinds". As a church we often have an unwilling heart to relate to those around us. We force ourselves into a world that doesn't desire our change. Our goal should be to literally illuminate something unmistakable and irreplaceable...something people want. Give them a chance to see this light before blinding them. Shine because it's natural...Jesus did. Love because it's natural...Jesus did. Put yourself in a place to be able to relate...Jesus did. Listen and understand...Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment