Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"I'm a big kid now!"

Okay get in your comfy position. Cross your legs, put on a sweatshirt, some fuzzy socks, throw your hair up in a bun. Now, imagine this with me. Ya know those kids that were "potty trained" just a little too soon? Those princess/power ranger panties were rewarded, but after one night you wish you stuck with the winnie the pooh pull-up. Now apply that situation to my first real week of college. Let's start with Monday. After hours of preparation all weekend, I completed one class' assignments. I dabbled in the other two, but spanish, my first class of the day...complete. Then I showed up to class. I completed the wrong assignment. Fail. After calling and having a good little chuckle with my dear sister, I walked with my head held high to history, then world religions. There are these two girls, they know everything. If it happened, which makes it history, they know it. Yet they're in my class, stealing allll my thunder. All I wanted to do was comment on the effects of Mesopotamian culture or perhaps the beginning of agriculture, which I conveniently highlighted pink when taking prior notes in an effort to quickly recognize and know all answers. But no, I was the silent one because every time I opened my mouth, a voice that did not sound like my own rambled off paragraphs much longer than answers I'd prepared. Someone else just had to be the teacher's pet. Not to worry, world religions still seemed promising, because this time I had the right folder (I may have been unprepared for the first day of class. may have happened). This time as I proudly opened the folder (sitting within the "T" of knowledge might I add. Front and center.), half a cookie appeared. Not conveniently in one piece; nope, all crumpled. A few big chunks, some straggling crumbs rolling down the slant of the desk and onto my lap/floor/keyboard. Remember I'm in The "T" of knowledge, there's no hiding the remnants of my lunch. I wouldn't have even had a cookie for lunch if I had remembered to print a few study guides off the night before and had time to eat lunch before class! I scream freshman. No, you can't hear it, I never actually speak it, but when I walk out of the bathroom with water all down my shirt/pants because I've yet to figure out the water pressure, when I e-mail professors because I can't find an assignment and tell them i'm in the 2:30 class instead of the 1:30 class i'm actually in, and when I carry my very large lime green laundry bag (so cute!) across campus to do my first load of laundry with my one best friend out of the 6,000 students here, I scream freshman. I'm like a toddler. The days at this university are my princess panties. I kinda miss winnie the pooh.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are killin me smalls! I'm cracking up down and over in NC!

    ReplyDelete